After a long, long way away from the PJ blog, it’s time I bring my butt back here and do what I came to do! The look is a little different than it was before, but I’m loving the layout. The most effective sources for fitness and healthy living inspiration tend to be visual, so this layout should provide the perfect platform for inspiring you all!
Also, spring time is a week away, which means that it’s time to start preparing for the warm weather and short shorts! As I’ve mentioned before, working out is only 20% of the equation for a hot bod. The other 80% is clean eating! So, here is a list I’ve prepared with a ton of great, healthy food items for your next grocery shopping trip –
If you’re just starting out on your health and fitness journey, the following list of “Clean Eating Groceries” will help you immensely!
It’s important to remember that working out is only 20% of the equation to becoming healthy and fit. The other 80% is cleaning up your diet! So here is what’s on my list of good, clean groceries based food group categories:
- Egg whites
- Greek yogurt
- Whey protein powder (see Optimum Nutrition at Bodybuilding.com)
- Cottage cheese
- Peanut butter
- Flax seeds
- Rolled oats (not instant)
- Sweet potatoes
- Brown rice
- Whole wheat/grain bread
- Peanut butter
- Coconut Oil
- Sunflower seeds
- Olive oil
- Egg yolks
- Soybean oil
- Bell Peppers
This list highlights was I personally shop for at the grocery store, but there are so many more options! Find what you like.
- “Clean eating” means to consume foods that are as far from processed as possible. Meaning, stay away from packaged-goods such as cookies, cakes, chips, etc….
- When grocery shopping, a good rule of thumb is to try and stay on the outer edge of the store. This is where the fruits, veggies, breads and meats are usually kept. Venturing through the “snack food” isle could be too tempting!
- Always keep “inventory” of what you have in your kitchen. Make a grocery list and stick to it at the store.
- NEVER, EVER go grocery shopping on an empty stomach! You’ll walk out of there with donuts, chips, and tons of other no-no foods!
- Try to keep some healthy trail mix or small fruit always in your purse or bag in case of “snack-attack emergencies”
- Depending on what your local grocery store is, I strongly suggest checking out their website or local newspaper ad for deals and discounts! I do this before every grocery shopping trip (Safeway has an amazing new JustforU program).
Clean eating doesn’t have to be bland and boring! Once you get a hang of it, it’s a piece of cake!…errr, broccoli? 😉 If you have questions about clean eating or have some suggestions you’d like to share, check out the “Ask P.J.” section at the top and let me know.
Eat to live, don’t live to eat!